This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client with breast cancer has been given a prescription for cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). The ... (Read 31 times)

CharlieWard

The client with breast cancer has been given a prescription for cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan). The nurse determines that the client understands the proper use of the medication if the client states that he or she will:

1. Increase dietary intake of potassium.
  2. Take the medication with large meals.
  3. Decrease dietary intake of magnesium.
  4. Increase fluid intake to 2 to 3 L/day.

Question 2

A 3-year-old child with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection is being discharged from the hospital. The nurse is providing instructions to the mother regarding home care and infection control measures.

Which of the following statements, if made by the mother, indicates a need for further education? 1. I should discard any unused food immediately.
  2. If the nipple becomes soft and sticky, I will discard the nipple.
  3. I need to wash all vegetables carefully before preparing them.
  4. I should wash the eating utensils, baby bottle, and dishes in the dishwasher.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

TDubDCFL

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: A toxic effect of cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) is hemorrhagic cystitis. The client should drink large amounts of fluid during the administration of this medication. Clients also should observe for hematuria. The medication should be taken on an empty stomach, unless gastrointestinal upset occurs. Hyperkalemia can result from the use of the medication; therefore, the client would not be encouraged to increase potassium intake. The client would not be instructed to alter magnesium intake.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The parents should be instructed to cover unused food and formula and refrigerate. They should also be informed to discard unused refrigerated food or formula after 24 hours. If the nipple becomes soft and sticky, I will discard the nipple. I need to wash all vegetables carefully before preparing them. and I should wash the eating utensils, baby bottle, and dishes in the dishwasher. are accurate instructions related to basic infection control.

CharlieWard

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

ashely1112

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library