This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The adult client has had serum electrolyte levels drawn. The nurse receiving the results by ... (Read 24 times)

asan beg

The adult client has had serum electrolyte levels drawn. The nurse receiving the results by telephone from the laboratory would be most concerned with which of the following results?

1. Sodium level, 142 mEq/L
  2. Chloride level, 103 mEq/L
  3. Potassium level, 5.4 mEq/L
  4. Bicarbonate level, 24 mEq/L

Question 2

The nurse reinforces instructions to the mother of a child diagnosed with pediculosis (head lice). Permethrin 1 (Nix) has been prescribed.

Which of the following statements, if made by the mother regarding the use of the medication, indicates a need for further education? 1. I need to purchase the medication from the pharmacy.
  2. After rinsing out the medication, I need to avoid washing my child's hair for 24 hours.
  3. I need to shampoo my child's hair, apply the medication, and leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it out.
  4. I need to shampoo my child's hair, apply the medication, and leave the medica-tion on for 24 hours.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

firehawk60

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The normal adult ranges of serum electrolyte levels are sodium, 136 to 145 mEq/L; potassium, 3.5 to 5.1 mEq/L; chloride, 98 to 106 mEq/L; and bicarbonate (venous), 22 to 30 mEq/L. The only abnormal value identified above is the serum potassium level, which would be the one of most concern to the nurse because of potential cardiac arrhythmias.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Nix is an over-the-counter antilice product that kills both lice and eggs with one ap-plication and has residual activity for 10 days. It is applied to the hair after shampooing and left for 10 minutes before rinsing out. The hair should not be shampooed for 24 hours after the rins-ing treatment.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

chereeb

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Blood in the urine can be a sign of a kidney stone, glomerulonephritis, or other kidney problems.

Did you know?

Though “Krazy Glue” or “Super Glue” has the ability to seal small wounds, it is not recommended for this purpose since it contains many substances that should not enter the body through the skin, and may be harmful.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Famous people who died from poisoning or drug overdose include, Adolf Hitler, Socrates, Juan Ponce de Leon, Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, and John Belushi.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library