This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The mother of a child with an umbilical hernia calls the clinic and reports to the nurse that the ... (Read 32 times)

theo

The mother of a child with an umbilical hernia calls the clinic and reports to the nurse that the child has been vomiting and is complaining of pain in the abdominal area. The nurse would most appropriately instruct the mother to:

1. Contact the physician.
  2. Keep the child on clear liquids.
  3. Apply an ice pack to the abdomen.
  4. Administer acetaminophen (Tylenol) suppositories to the child.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for an older client whose husband died approximately 6 weeks ago. The client says, There's no one left to care about me. Everyone that I have loved is now gone. The nurse would make which response to the client?

1. That doesn't sound like the real you talking
  2. I'm sure you have someone if you think hard enough.
  3. It sounds as though you are feeling all alone right now.
  4. I don't believe that, and I really don't think you do either.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tandmlomax84

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Vomiting, pain, and irreducible mass at the umbilicus are signs of a strangulated her-nia. The parents should be instructed to contact the physician immediately if strangulation is suspected. Keep the child on clear liquids, apply an ice pack to the abdomen, and adminis-ter acetaminophen (Tylenol) suppositories to the child are incorrect, can cause harm to the child, and delay emergency treatment measures that are required.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The client is experiencing loss because of the recent death of her husband and is ex-pressing feelings of hopelessness. The therapeutic response by the nurse is the one that attempts to translate words into feelings. The statements in That doesn't sound like the real you talking and I don't believe that, and I really don't think you do either. deny the client's feelings. The statement in I'm sure you have someone if you think hard enough. puts distance between the nurse and client because it does not address the client's concerns.

theo

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

triiciiaa

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Automated pill dispensing systems have alarms to alert patients when the correct dosing time has arrived. Most systems work with many varieties of medications, so patients who are taking a variety of drugs can still be in control of their dose regimen.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library