This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client with diabetes experiences breakdown of fats for conversion to glucose. The nurse ... (Read 19 times)

karlynnae

The client with diabetes experiences breakdown of fats for conversion to glucose. The nurse determines that this response is occurring if the client has elevated levels of which of the following substances?

1. Glucose
  2. Ketones
  3. Glucagon
  4. Lactic dehydrogenase

Question 2

A nurse implements a teaching plan for a pregnant client who is newly diagnosed with gestational diabetes mellitus. Which statement, if made by the client, indicates a need for further education?

1. I need to stay on the diabetic diet.
  2. I will perform glucose monitoring at home.
  3. I need to avoid exercise because of the negative effects on insulin production.
  4. I need to be aware of any infections and report signs of infection immediately to my health care provider.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

samiel-sayed

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: Ketones are a byproduct of fat metabolism. When this process occurs to the extreme, it is termed ketoacidosis. Glucose, glucagon, and lactic dehydrogenase are incorrect.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: Exercise is safe for the client with gestational diabetes mellitus and is helpful in low-ering the blood glucose level. Dietary modifications are the mainstay of treatment, and the client is placed on a standard diabetic diet. Many women are taught to perform blood glucose monitor-ing. If the woman is not performing the blood glucose monitoring at home, then it will be per-formed at the clinic or health care provider's office. Signs of infection need to be reported to the health care provider.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

A headache when you wake up in the morning is indicative of sinusitis. Other symptoms of sinusitis can include fever, weakness, tiredness, a cough that may be more severe at night, and a runny nose or nasal congestion.

Did you know?

This year, an estimated 1.4 million Americans will have a new or recurrent heart attack.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library