Author Question: The nurse is assessing the adult client who has come to the emergency department with red, swollen ... (Read 22 times)

kshipps

The nurse is assessing the adult client who has come to the emergency department with red, swollen eyes that are oozing a yellowish drainage. The client is unable to tell the nurse where the infection may have originated.

What question would the nurse ask the client next? 1. Did you get sand in your eye recently?
   2. Have you been exposed to HIV?
   3. Have you been to a tanning bed recently?
   4. Have you had extra caffeine this week?

Question 2

Which statement made by a postmenopausal woman would the nurse evaluate as indicating the need for further assessment?

1. For some reason, I have more sexual desire than ever..
   2. I use water-soluble lubricant to treat my vaginal dryness..
   3. I am so glad that I don't need to worry about sex anymore..
   4. Sex certainly takes longer than it used to, but I'm getting used to that..

Edwyer

Answer to Question 1

3. Have you been to a tanning bed recently?

Rationale:
Conjunctivitis can be caused by irritation from radiation, so asking the client about using a tanning bed would help the nurse determine the source or cause of the infection. Exposure to HIV, sand in the eye, and caffeine are not known causes of conjunctivitis.

Answer to Question 2

3. I am so glad that I don't need to worry about sex anymore..

Rationale:
The nurse would further assess the client who made the statement, I am so glad that I don't need to worry about sex anymore.. This statement is unclear. Does it mean that the client is glad not to have to engage in sex anymore or does it mean that she will not have to worry about getting pregnant anymore? The other statements reflect normal changes associated with aging and healthy responses to those changes.