This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is working with a client who is taking an immunosuppressant agent. Which statement made by ... (Read 10 times)

tsand2

The nurse is working with a client who is taking an immunosuppressant agent. Which statement made by the client would require further teaching?

1. I know to call the physician if I start experiencing a lot of bruising..
   2. I should drink plenty of water to keep me from getting dehydrated..
   3. I should drink a lot of fruit juices, such as grapefruit juice..
   4. If I experience any joint pain, I should take ibuprofen for the pain as needed every four hours..

Question 2

A client asks the nurse how glaucoma develops. The nurse should respond with which of the following?

1. Blue eyes are a risk factor in the development of glaucoma..
   2. When the pressure in the eye is high enough to cause optic nerve damage, glaucoma can develop..
   3. Heart disease is a risk factor in the development of glaucoma..
   4. People with arthritis develop glaucoma most often..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mathjasmine

Answer to Question 1

3. I should drink a lot of fruit juices, such as grapefruit juice..

Rationale:
Immunosuppressive agents inhibit T cell development and activation. They are given concurrently with glucocorticoids and in combination with other immunosuppressants, and inhibit immune system activity and organ rejection. Nursing responsibilities include monitoring BUN and creatinine for evidence of nephrotoxicity. The client should avoid grapefruit juice, which can raise cyclosporine levels by 50200 and increase the risk of toxicity. Fluids should be increased to maintain good hydration and urinary output. Ibuprofen is acceptable for immunosuppressive medications, but should not be taken with cytotoxic agents.

Answer to Question 2

2. When the pressure in the eye is high enough to cause optic nerve damage, glaucoma can develop..

Rationale:
Glaucoma develops when the pressure in the eye is high enough to cause optic nerve damage. Blue eyes are not a risk factor for the development of glaucoma. Heart disease and arthritis are not risk factors for the development of glaucoma.

tsand2

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

kthug

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

It is believed that the Incas used anesthesia. Evidence supports the theory that shamans chewed cocoa leaves and drilled holes into the heads of patients (letting evil spirits escape), spitting into the wounds they made. The mixture of cocaine, saliva, and resin numbed the site enough to allow hours of drilling.

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

Common abbreviations that cause medication errors include U (unit), mg (milligram), QD (every day), SC (subcutaneous), TIW (three times per week), D/C (discharge or discontinue), HS (at bedtime or "hours of sleep"), cc (cubic centimeters), and AU (each ear).

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library