This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is working in a neonatal intensive care unit, teaching parents how to care for their ... (Read 57 times)

Medesa

A nurse is working in a neonatal intensive care unit, teaching parents how to care for their newborns while they are still in the hospital. Which statement by a parent reflects a readiness to learn?

1. I'm so afraid I'll hurt my baby with all these tubes..
   2. I want to make sure my spouse is here, in case I don't hear everything that's said..
   3. If my baby is just a little bigger, I'll feel more comfortably handling him..
   4. You'll give us written instructions before we go home, correct?

Question 2

The nurse is assessing a child during a well-baby checkup. The parents express concern that their baby does not act as other babies of their friends.

The nurse suspects the child may have cerebral palsy when the parents state which of the following? 1. My 6-month-old baby is rolling from back to prone now..
   2. My 3-month-old fails to smile at me..
   3. My 8-month-old can sit without support..
   4. My 10-month-old is not walking..

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

joshraies

Answer to Question 1

2. I want to make sure my spouse is here, in case I don't hear everything that's said..

Rationale:
Readiness to learn is the demonstration of behaviors or cues that reflect a learner's motivation, desire, and ability to learn at a specific time. The client who wants her spouse involved is demonstrating motivation and willingness, but also wants support from the spouse. Statements about fear of the situation need to be addressed so the fear will not inhibit the learning process. Wanting to wait until discharge or at least until the baby is older reflects uncertainty and possibly fear and should be addressed before learning can occur.

Answer to Question 2

2. My 3-month-old fails to smile at me..

Rationale:
Children with cerebral palsy are delayed in meeting developmental milestones. The infant who fails to smile at 3 months of age is showing a delay. The social smile usually appears at around 6 weeks of age. A baby rolls over from back to prone at 6 months, sits without support at 8 months, and walks at 12 months.

Medesa

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Mochi

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight. Carrots are high in vitamin A (retinol), which is essential for good vision. It can also be found in milk, cheese, egg yolks, and liver.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library