This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A 56-year-old man is hospitalized because of poorly controlled diabetes and a leg ulcer that ... (Read 37 times)

cool

A 56-year-old man is hospitalized because of poorly controlled diabetes and a leg ulcer that developed as a complication of diabetes. He is awake, alert, and oriented but fatigued and in need of wound care.

In the hospital, he was placed on insulin and started on a variety of oral medications. He is learning how to check his blood sugar and administer insulin. He has never given himself insulin and he does not understand how to interpret his blood sugar readings. The physician has prescribed discharge from the hospital with home health follow-up. Is this an appropriate referral?
  a. Yes; the patient is in need of skilled services and, therefore, eligible for home care services.
  b. Yes; the patient has been unable to control his diabetes, is noncompliant, and needs to be monitored.
  c. No; the patient should remain hospitalized; he has too many needs for home care services.
  d. No; the patient is relatively young and oriented; he should be able to provide his own care.

Question 2

Today is the last day of work on the medical-surgical unit for a nurse who has decided to work in home care. A patient asks her why she is leaving to work in home care. Select a response that best illustrates the advantages of home care.

a. Care is much more comprehensive and unhurried in the home; it is more enjoyable for nurses to work in home care.
  b. Home care is much more organized than hospital care; you have access to the whole team, and there is less interference from others.
  c. A home health nurse has more autonomy and skills than a hospital nurse does; I'll get to do more.
  d. In home care, I can see my patients in their personal environment; this will help me understand them more and allow me to give personalized care.