This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient is complaining of nonspecific abdominal pain. What is the technique the nurse uses to ... (Read 55 times)

RYAN BANYAN

A patient is complaining of nonspecific abdominal pain. What is the technique the nurse uses to assess tenderness?

a. Palpation
  b. Percussion
  c. Auscultation
  d. Olfaction

Question 2

A nurse has finished preoperative teaching for a surgical patient. Which statement by the patient indicates teaching was successful about the use of elastic stockings?

a. I do not have to worry about wrinkles.
  b. I can roll them no lower than my calf.
  c. I will massage my legs regularly.
  d. I should remove and reapply them every 8 hours.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

livaneabi

Answer to Question 1

A
Palpation primarily detects areas of abdominal tenderness, distention, or masses. Percussion involves tapping the body with the fingertips to produce a vibration that travels through body tissues. The resulting sounds give information about the location, size, and density of underlying structures and help verify abnormalities assessed by palpation and auscultation. Auscultation is listening for sounds produced by the body and is not used to assess tenderness. Olfaction, or smelling, helps to detect abnormalities not recognized by other means. Unusual smells can lead to detection of serious abnormalities.

Answer to Question 2

D
Remove and reapply elastic stockings at least every 8 hours. Elastic stocking aid in maintaining pressure on the muscles of the lower extremities and promote venous return. Rolled-down stockings constrict the vessels and impede venous return. The elastic stocking should be smooth, not wrinkled. The legs should not be massaged.

RYAN BANYAN

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

juliaf

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

Asthma is the most common chronic childhood disease in the world. Most children who develop asthma have symptoms before they are 5 years old.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library