This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: An older adult widow reports having problems sleeping at night and states, I miss my spouse. The ... (Read 24 times)

dollx

An older adult widow reports having problems sleeping at night and states, I miss my spouse. The nurse also recognizes that older patients:

a. are difficult to assess.
  b. take less time to fall asleep.
  c. may suffer from emotional stress or depressive mood problems.
  d. require less sleep than middle-age adults.

Question 2

A nurse has worked in a variety of nursing areas and would like to find a unit within the hospital that mirrors the nurse's own professional values.

The best way for the nurse to find a unit that would be a good fit is for the nurse to examine which document? a. Hospital mission statement
  b. Unit policies and procedures
  c. Unit philosophy of care
  d. Hospital vision statement

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

FergA

Answer to Question 1

C
The elderly frequently experience losses, such as retirement and death of a loved one, which may lead to emotional stress or depressive mood problems that affect sleep efficacy. Older adults have a harder time falling asleep and more trouble staying asleep than do young adults. Sleep studies on older adults show a decline in REM sleep and an increase in nighttime awakenings. It is a common misconception that sleep needs decrease with aging. Older adults still need 7 to 8 hours of sleep a day, just like middle-aged adults. Older adults are not more difficult to assess.

Answer to Question 2

C
A philosophy of care incorporates the professional nursing staff's values and concerns for the way that they view and care for patients. For example, a philosophy addresses the nursing unit's purpose, how staff will work with patients and families, and the standards of care for the work unit. A philosophy is a vision for how to practice nursing. A hospital's mission statement and/or philosophy are for the entire hospital, not just the specific nursing unit. Unit policies and procedures will not give the nurse a good idea about the unit's values and beliefs.

dollx

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

cam1229

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

Did you know?

Calcitonin is a naturally occurring hormone. In women who are at least 5 years beyond menopause, it slows bone loss and increases spinal bone density.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library