This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The mother of a toddler is concerned that her son is not eating enough, although he has not lost any ... (Read 20 times)

dbose

The mother of a toddler is concerned that her son is not eating enough, although he has not lost any weight. She tells the nurse that her son used to have a very good appetite, but now does not eat as much as he did a couple of months ago.

What is the best response for the nurse to provide? a. You need to make him eat. At this stage, he is growing too fast to not eat.
  b. I could show you a growth chart, but each child is different so it doesn't mean much.
  c. Toddlers have periods when they aren't growing as fast and they don't need to eat as much.
  d. Make him eat with a spoon and don't feed him snacks. He will be hungrier at meal time.

Question 2

A student nurse is in her community health clinical rotation. She is visiting a family with a new baby. Which of the following statements made by the mother of a 1-month-old infant indicates the need for client education?

a. My baby should double his birth weight by the time he is 6 months old.
  b. I shouldn't give my baby any cow's milk until he is at least a year old.
  c. My baby has been fussy lately; I believe he is probably cutting his teeth.
  d. I shouldn't put my baby on a fluffy pillow to sleep.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

lindahyatt42

Answer to Question 1

C
Slower growth rates often occur with a decrease in caloric needs and a smaller food intake. Confirming the child's pattern of growth with standard growth charts is reassuring to parents concerned about their toddler's decreased appetite (physiological anorexia). Encourage parents to offer a variety of nutritious foods, in reasonable servings, for mealtime and snacks. Finger foods allow the toddler to be independent.

Answer to Question 2

C
The first tooth to erupt is usually one of the lower central incisors at the average age of 7 months. Most babies have six teeth by their first birthday. Typically infants double their birth weight by 5 to 6 months and triple it by 12 months. Infants should not have any type of cow's milk during the first year because the high protein content may increase the chance of food allergies. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends infants not sleep with a blanket until they are a year old.

dbose

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library