This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse teaches the client to cough and deep-breathe, and determines that the client understood ... (Read 101 times)

fnuegbu

The nurse teaches the client to cough and deep-breathe, and determines that the client understood teaching when which of the following statements is made?

1. I should breathe in slowly through my mouth and out through my nose.
  2. I should breathe in and cough as soon as I'm done inhaling.
  3. I should hold a rolled pillow against my abdomen when I cough, to splint the incision.
  4. I will begin coughing and deep-breathing the day after surgery.

Question 2

The nurse has provided preoperative teaching, and determines that further teaching is needed when the client states:

1. Once I receive the preoperative medication, I will need to remain in bed.
  2. I can wait until just before leaving for the operating room to remove my wedding ring and false teeth.
  3. My family will wait for me in the holding area while I am in surgery.
  4. I should not eat or drink anything for eight hours before surgery.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brbarasa

Answer to Question 1

Rationale: The client should breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth. After inhaling, the client should hold the breath for a few seconds before coughing. Exercises should begin as soon as possible after surgery.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale: The client's family may be allowed in the holding area, depending on facility policy, to stay with the client until she leaves for surgery. Once the client has been taken to the OR, the family will go to the waiting room, and will be informed of the client's condition when the surgery is completed, or occasionally, throughout an extended procedure. The remaining statements are correct.

fnuegbu

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

epscape

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Lower drug doses for elderly patients should be used first, with titrations of the dose as tolerated to prevent unwanted drug-related pharmacodynamic effects.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

Hypertension is a silent killer because it is deadly and has no significant early symptoms. The danger from hypertension is the extra load on the heart, which can lead to hypertensive heart disease and kidney damage. This occurs without any major symptoms until the high blood pressure becomes extreme. Regular blood pressure checks are an important method of catching hypertension before it can kill you.

Did you know?

Only one in 10 cancer deaths is caused by the primary tumor. The vast majority of cancer mortality is caused by cells breaking away from the main tumor and metastasizing to other parts of the body, such as the brain, bones, or liver.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library