This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A parent tells the pediatric nurse practitioner, I've never told anyone this information about my ... (Read 48 times)

anshika

A parent tells the pediatric nurse practitioner, I've never told anyone this information about my son. What is this statement an example of?

a. Identifying problems and goals
  b. Building trust
  c. Clarifying roles
  d. Revealing

Question 2

In working with a client who is newly diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, the nurse provides feedback to the client on her progress in learning the treatment regimen. Which statement by the nurse demonstrates the use of therapeutic communication?

a. I believe that you have come a long way in learning how to manage your care.
  b. It didn't look as if you were ever going to be able to get the injection technique right.
  c. You really need to be checking your blood sugar more often unless you want to come back here to the hospital.
  d. You don't appear to have any interest in your dietary intake.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Toya9913

Answer to Question 1

B
The parent's statement is an example of trust. Trusting another person involves risk and vulnera-bility, but it also fosters open, therapeutic communication and enhances the expression of feel-ings, thoughts, and needs.
The parent's statement is not an example of identifying problems and goals.
The parent's statement is not clarifying roles of the nurse and client.
The parent's statement is not an example of revealing. Although the parent may have provided information that was never before revealed, in this statement the parent is indicating that there is trust between himself or herself and the nurse practitioner.

Answer to Question 2

A
The nurse is demonstrating the use of therapeutic communication by sharing hope. The nurse is pointing out that personal growth can come from illness experiences.
It didn't look as if you were ever going to be able to get the injection technique right is a nega-tive statement. The nurse should not state observations that might embarrass or anger the client.
You really need to be checking your blood sugar more often unless you want to come back here to the hospital is a response that does not demonstrate the use of therapeutic communication. It implies disapproval and is an aggressive, threatening type of response.
You don't appear to have any interest in your dietary intake is not a therapeutic statement; it is negative and aggressive in nature. Even if it is a true observation, it is one the nurse should not state, as it could anger or embarrass the client.

anshika

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

blakcmamba

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

The most destructive flu epidemic of all times in recorded history occurred in 1918, with approximately 20 million deaths worldwide.

Did you know?

In women, pharmacodynamic differences include increased sensitivity to (and increased effectiveness of) beta-blockers, opioids, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, and typical antipsychotics.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library