This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Michael is a 23-year-old patient who was involved in a motorcycle accident. He was in the intensive ... (Read 28 times)

beccaep

Michael is a 23-year-old patient who was involved in a motorcycle accident. He was in the intensive care unit of the hospital for 2 months and was just discharged to a rehabilitation hospi-tal.

He tells his nurse that he doesn't understand why he is so weak. What is the best response from the nurse? A. When you are in bed for a long time, your body begins to break down its own protein.
  B. When you don't use it, you lose it.
  C. You haven't eaten much for the past couple of months.
  D. Your body has spent energy trying to heal itself.

Question 2

Becky is a student nurse who is admitting Mrs. Beasley to the surgical unit of the hospital for a bilateral oophorectomy. Which of the following statements from Mrs. Beasley requires additional follow-up by Becky?

A. I understand that all patients get a sleeping pill at night.
  B. I sleep better with my door closed at night.
  C. I usually go to bed after the late evening news.
  D. I like a glass of milk before going to bed.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leahm14

Answer to Question 1

A
Prolonged bed rest decreases the body's ability to produce insulin and metabolize glucose. When the body is unable to metabolize glucose, it begins to break down its protein stores for energy.

Answer to Question 2

A
Hospitalized patients usually need or want more sleep as a result of illness. However, some will require less sleep because they are less active. Some patients who are ill think that it is important to try to sleep more than what is usual for them, eventually making sleeping difficult.

beccaep

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Excellent

sultansheikh

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

Did you know?

Eating food that has been cooked with poppy seeds may cause you to fail a drug screening test, because the seeds contain enough opiate alkaloids to register as a positive.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Interferon was scarce and expensive until 1980, when the interferon gene was inserted into bacteria using recombinant DNA technology, allowing for mass cultivation and purification from bacterial cultures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library