This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is admitting a patient to the medical/surgical unit. Which communication technique would ... (Read 80 times)

nenivikky

The nurse is admitting a patient to the medical/surgical unit. Which communication technique would be considered appropriate for this interaction?

a. I've also had traumatic life experiences. Maybe it would help if I told you about them.
  b. Why do you think you had so much difficulty adjusting to this change in your life?
  c. You will feel better after getting accustomed to how this unit operates.
  d. I'd like to sit with you for a while to help you get comfortable talking to me.

Question 2

A patient states, I had a bad nightmare. When I woke up, I felt emotionally drained, as though I hadn't rested well. Which response by the nurse would be an example of interpersonal therapeutic communication?

a. It sounds as though you were uncomfortable with the content of your dream.
  b. I understand what you're saying. Bad dreams leave me feeling tired, too.
  c. So, all in all, you feel as though you had a rather poor night's sleep?
  d. Can you give me an example of what you mean by a 'bad nightmare'?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tkempin

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Because the patient is newly admitted to the unit, allowing the patient to become comfortable with the setting a technique that can assist in establishing the nurse-patient relationship. It helps build trust and convey that the nurse cares about the patient. The nurse should not reveal their life experiences as this is not therapeutic. Asking why the patient is having difficulty may provide insight; however, this would be best saved for an established relationship with the patient. Assuring the patient that they will feel better may not be true depending on the reason for the admission.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
The technique of clarification is therapeutic and helps the nurse examine meaning. The distracters focus on patient feelings but fail to clarify the meaning of the patient's comment.

nenivikky

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

nathang24

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

The Babylonians wrote numbers in a system that used 60 as the base value rather than the number 10. They did not have a symbol for "zero."

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library