This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing information regarding safety and accidental poisoning to a grandparent who ... (Read 29 times)

kodithompson

The nurse is providing information regarding safety and accidental poisoning to a grandparent who will be taking custody of a 1-year-old grandchild. Which comment by the grandparent will cause the nurse to intervene?

a. The number for poison control is 800-222-1222.
  b. Never induce vomiting if my grandchild drinks bleach.
  c. I should call 911 if my grandchild loses consciousness.
  d. If my grandchild eats a plant, I should provide syrup of ipecac.

Question 2

The nurse enters the patient's room and notices a small fire in the headlight above the patient's bed. In which order will the nurse perform the steps, beginning with the first one?

1. Pull the alarm.
  2. Remove the patient.
  3. Use the fire extinguisher.
  4. Close doors and windows.
  a. 2, 1, 4, 3
  b. 1, 2, 4, 3
  c. 1, 2, 3, 4
  d. 2, 1, 3, 4

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flexer1n1

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The administration of ipecac syrup or induction of vomiting is no longer recommended for routine home treatment of poisoning. The nurse must intervene to provide additional teaching. All the rest are correct and do not require follow up. The poison control number is 800-222-1222. After a caustic substance such as bleach has been drunk, do not induce vomiting. This can cause further burning and injury as the substance is eliminated. Loss of consciousness associated with poisoning requires calling 911.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Nurses use the mnemonic RACE to set priorities in case of fire. The steps are as follows: Rescue and remove all patients in immediate danger; Activate the alarm; Confine the fire by closing doors and windows; and Extinguish the fire using an appropriate extinguisher.

kodithompson

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Kedrick2014

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

The first oncogene was discovered in 1970 and was termed SRC (pronounced "SARK").

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library