This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing information regarding safety and accidental poisoning to a grandparent who ... (Read 30 times)

kodithompson

The nurse is providing information regarding safety and accidental poisoning to a grandparent who will be taking custody of a 1-year-old grandchild. Which comment by the grandparent will cause the nurse to intervene?

a. The number for poison control is 800-222-1222.
  b. Never induce vomiting if my grandchild drinks bleach.
  c. I should call 911 if my grandchild loses consciousness.
  d. If my grandchild eats a plant, I should provide syrup of ipecac.

Question 2

The nurse enters the patient's room and notices a small fire in the headlight above the patient's bed. In which order will the nurse perform the steps, beginning with the first one?

1. Pull the alarm.
  2. Remove the patient.
  3. Use the fire extinguisher.
  4. Close doors and windows.
  a. 2, 1, 4, 3
  b. 1, 2, 4, 3
  c. 1, 2, 3, 4
  d. 2, 1, 3, 4

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

flexer1n1

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
The administration of ipecac syrup or induction of vomiting is no longer recommended for routine home treatment of poisoning. The nurse must intervene to provide additional teaching. All the rest are correct and do not require follow up. The poison control number is 800-222-1222. After a caustic substance such as bleach has been drunk, do not induce vomiting. This can cause further burning and injury as the substance is eliminated. Loss of consciousness associated with poisoning requires calling 911.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Nurses use the mnemonic RACE to set priorities in case of fire. The steps are as follows: Rescue and remove all patients in immediate danger; Activate the alarm; Confine the fire by closing doors and windows; and Extinguish the fire using an appropriate extinguisher.

kodithompson

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

LVPMS

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Elderly adults are living longer, and causes of death are shifting. At the same time, autopsy rates are at or near their lowest in history.

Did you know?

The most common childhood diseases include croup, chickenpox, ear infections, flu, pneumonia, ringworm, respiratory syncytial virus, scabies, head lice, and asthma.

Did you know?

The heart is located in the center of the chest, with part of it tipped slightly so that it taps against the left side of the chest.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library