Author Question: Which behaviors indicate the nurse is using critical thinking standards when communicating with ... (Read 17 times)

moongchi

Which behaviors indicate the nurse is using critical thinking standards when communicating with patients? (Select all that apply.)

a. Instills faith
  b. Uses humility
  c. Portrays self-confidence
  d. Exhibits supportiveness
  e. Demonstrates independent attitude

Question 2

A patient says, You are the worst nurse I have ever had. Which response by the nurse is most assertive?

a. I think you've had a hard day.
  b. I feel uncomfortable hearing that statement.
  c. I don't think you should say things like that. It is not right.
  d. I have been checking on you regularly. How can you say that?

vseab

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B, C, E
A self-confident attitude is important because the nurse who conveys confidence and comfort while communicating more readily establishes an interpersonal helping-trusting relationship. In addition, an independent attitude encourages the nurse to communicate with colleagues and share ideas about nursing interventions. An attitude of humility is necessary to recognize and communicate the need for more information before making a decision. Faith and supportiveness are attributes of caring, not critical thinking standards.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Assertive responses contain I messages such as I want, I need, I think, or I feel. While all of these start with I, the only one that is the most assertive is I feel uncomfortable hearing that statement. An assertive nurse communicates self-assurance; communicates feelings; takes responsibility for choices; and is respectful of others' feelings, ideas, and choices. I think you've had a hard day is not addressing the problem. Arguing (How can you say that?) is not assertive or therapeutic. Showing disapproval (using words like right) is not assertive or therapeutic.