This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse's goal for an older adult is to reduce the risk of adverse medication effects. Which action ... (Read 29 times)

michelleunicorn

A nurse's goal for an older adult is to reduce the risk of adverse medication effects. Which action will the nurse take?

a. Review the patient's list of medications at each visit.
  b. Teach that polypharmacy is to be avoided at all cost.
  c. Avoid information about adverse effects.
  d. Focus only on prescribed medications.

Question 2

An outcome for an older-adult patient living alone is to be free from falls. Which statement indicates the patient correctly understands the teaching on safety concerns?

a. I'll take my time getting up from the bed or chair.
  b. I should dim the lighting outside to decrease the glare in my eyes.
  c. I'll leave my throw rugs in place so that my feet won't touch the cold tile.
  d. I should wear my favorite smooth bottom socks to protect my feet when walking around.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cpetit11

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Strategies for reducing the risk for adverse medication effects include reviewing the medications with older adults at each visit; examining for potential interactions with food or other medications; simplifying and individualizing medication regimens; taking every opportunity to inform older adults and their families about all aspects of medication use; and encouraging older adults to question their health care providers about all prescribed and over-the-counter medications. Although polypharmacy often reflects inappropriate prescribing, the concurrent use of multiple medications is often necessary when an older adult has multiple acute and chronic conditions. Older adults are at risk for adverse drug effects because of age-related changes in the absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of drugs. Work collaboratively with the older adult to ensure safe and appropriate use of all medicationsboth prescribed medications and over-the-counter medications and herbal options.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Postural hypotension is an intrinsic factor that can cause falls. Changing positions slowly indicates a correct understanding of this concept. Environmental hazards outside and within the home such as poor lighting, slippery or wet flooring, and items on floor that are easy to trip over such as throw rugs are other factors that can lead to falls. Impaired vision and poor lighting are other risk factors for falls and should be avoided (dim lighting). Inappropriate footwear such as smooth bottom socks also contributes to falls.

michelleunicorn

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Gracias!

covalentbond

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

Did you know?

Anti-aging claims should not ever be believed. There is no supplement, medication, or any other substance that has been proven to slow or stop the aging process.

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

The top five reasons that children stay home from school are as follows: colds, stomach flu (gastroenteritis), ear infection (otitis media), pink eye (conjunctivitis), and sore throat.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library