This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is working in the delivery room. Which action is priority immediately after birth? a. ... (Read 39 times)

jhjkgdfhk

A nurse is working in the delivery room. Which action is priority immediately after birth?

a. Open the airway.
  b. Determine gestational age.
  c. Monitor infant-parent interactions.
  d. Promote parent-newborn physical contact.

Question 2

A nurse teaches a new mother about the associated health risks to the infant. Which statement by the mother indicates a correct understanding of the teaching?

a. I will feed my baby every 4 hours around-the-clock.
  b. I need to leave the blankets off my baby to prevent smothering.
  c. I need to remind friends who want to hold my baby to wash their hands.
  d. I will throw away the bulb syringe now because my baby is breathing fine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Zack0mack0101@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Opening the airway is the priority. The most extreme physiological change occurs when the newborn leaves the utero circulation and develops independent respiratory functioning. Direct nursing care includes maintaining an open airway, stabilizing and maintaining body temperature, and protecting the newborn from infection. After immediate physical evaluation and application of identification bracelets, the nurse promotes the parents' and newborn's need for close physical contact. Following a comprehensive physical assessment, the nurse assesses gestational age and interactions between infant and parents.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Good handwashing technique is the most important factor in protecting the newborn from infection. You can help prevent infection by instructing parents and visitors to wash their hands before touching the infant. The nurse can help parents identify ways to meet needs by counseling them to feed their baby on demand rather than on a rigid schedule.
Newborns are susceptible to heat loss and cold stress. Place the healthy newborn directly on the mother's abdomen, covering with warm blankets. Removal of nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal secretions remains a priority of care to maintain a patent airway; keeping the bulb syringe is important.

jhjkgdfhk

Reply 2 on: Jul 22, 2018
Wow, this really help

AngeliqueG

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library