This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client is a child age 5 years hospitalized for a surgical procedure. The client is bedwetting. ... (Read 35 times)

daltonest1984

The client is a child age 5 years hospitalized for a surgical procedure. The client is bedwetting. The parents report this is a new behavior and their child is toilet trained. The nurse assesses the client is exhibiting the defense mechanism of ...

A) compensation.
  B) displacement.
  C) reaction formation.
  D) regression.

Question 2

The client is a single parent being seen at an employee wellness clinic. The client tells the nurse he has three school-age children who participate in various activities.

He states, Every night, I am taking them to soccer practice, football practice, Girl Scouts. I have to fix dinner and then go over homework. I have no time for myself. I am so tired. The client exhibits tremors of his hands. Blood pressure is 140/88 mm Hg, heart rate is 98 beats/minute, and respirations are 30 breaths/minute. Data best supports which of the following nursing diagnoses?

A) Stress Overload related to single parenting
  B) Defensive Coping related to inability to appraise stressors
  C) Hopelessness related to multiple responsibilities
  D) Disturbed Sleep Pattern related to anxiety

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nmyers

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Regression is a maladaptive behavior in which the client returns to an earlier method of behaving, as seen in the child who is now bedwetting. Compensation is overcoming a perceived weakness by emphasizing a more desirable trait. Displacement is transferring an emotional reaction from one object or person to another. Reaction formation is exhibiting behaviors that are the opposite of what the client would really like to do.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
The client is stating his stressors and a reaction to the stressor when he states, I am so tired. This would support Stress Overload. Defensive Coping would be not appropriate as he can state stressors in his life. He does not express Hopelessness in his statement to the nurse. The nurse needs more data, such as difficulty falling asleep and interrupted sleep, to support Disturbed Sleep Pattern.

daltonest1984

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

Adult head lice are gray, about ? inch long, and often have a tiny dot on their backs. A female can lay between 50 and 150 eggs within the several weeks that she is alive. They feed on human blood.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

As of mid-2016, 18.2 million people were receiving advanced retroviral therapy (ART) worldwide. This represents between 43–50% of the 34–39.8 million people living with HIV.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library