This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client is a child age 5 years hospitalized for a surgical procedure. The client is bedwetting. ... (Read 36 times)

daltonest1984

The client is a child age 5 years hospitalized for a surgical procedure. The client is bedwetting. The parents report this is a new behavior and their child is toilet trained. The nurse assesses the client is exhibiting the defense mechanism of ...

A) compensation.
  B) displacement.
  C) reaction formation.
  D) regression.

Question 2

The client is a single parent being seen at an employee wellness clinic. The client tells the nurse he has three school-age children who participate in various activities.

He states, Every night, I am taking them to soccer practice, football practice, Girl Scouts. I have to fix dinner and then go over homework. I have no time for myself. I am so tired. The client exhibits tremors of his hands. Blood pressure is 140/88 mm Hg, heart rate is 98 beats/minute, and respirations are 30 breaths/minute. Data best supports which of the following nursing diagnoses?

A) Stress Overload related to single parenting
  B) Defensive Coping related to inability to appraise stressors
  C) Hopelessness related to multiple responsibilities
  D) Disturbed Sleep Pattern related to anxiety

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nmyers

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Regression is a maladaptive behavior in which the client returns to an earlier method of behaving, as seen in the child who is now bedwetting. Compensation is overcoming a perceived weakness by emphasizing a more desirable trait. Displacement is transferring an emotional reaction from one object or person to another. Reaction formation is exhibiting behaviors that are the opposite of what the client would really like to do.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: A
The client is stating his stressors and a reaction to the stressor when he states, I am so tired. This would support Stress Overload. Defensive Coping would be not appropriate as he can state stressors in his life. He does not express Hopelessness in his statement to the nurse. The nurse needs more data, such as difficulty falling asleep and interrupted sleep, to support Disturbed Sleep Pattern.

daltonest1984

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

Did you know?

Allergies play a major part in the health of children. The most prevalent childhood allergies are milk, egg, soy, wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, and seafood.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

Amoebae are the simplest type of protozoans, and are characterized by a feeding and dividing trophozoite stage that moves by temporary extensions called pseudopodia or false feet.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library