This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a client on home care about how to apply hot packs to an infected leg ulcer. ... (Read 30 times)

Wadzanai

A nurse is teaching a client on home care about how to apply hot packs to an infected leg ulcer. What statement by the client indicates the need for further education?

A) I understand the rebound effect of heat.
  B) I will put the heat packs only on the sore on my leg.
  C) I will only leave the heat packs on for 20 minutes.
  D) I will leave the heat packs on for an hour.

Question 2

Which of the following is a recommended guideline nurses follow when using an electric heating pad on a client?

A) Secure the heating pad to the client's clothing with safety pins.
  B) Place a heavy towel or blanket over the heating pad to maximize heat effects.
  C) Use a heating pad with a selector switch that can be turned up by the client if needed.
  D) Place a heating pad anteriorly or laterally to, not under, the body part.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Pamela.irrgang@yahoo.com

Answer to Question 1

Ans: D
Initially, temperature receptors in the skin are strongly stimulated. This response decreases rapidly for the first few seconds after being stimulated and more slowly for the next 30 minutes as the receptors adapt to the temperature. Be sure to tell clients that increasing the temperature or lengthening the time of application can seriously damage tissues.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: D
Guidelines include: Place a heating pad anteriorly or laterally to, not under, the body part. If the heating pad is between the client and the mattress, heat dissipation may be inadequate, leading to burning of the client or the bed linens. Avoid using pins to secure a heating pad because there is a danger of electric shock if a pin touches a wire. Do not cover the heating pad with anything that might be heavy; heat may accumulate and burn the client when it cannot dissipate normally from the pad. Use a heating pad with a selector switch that cannot be turned up beyond a safe temperature.

Did you know?

Persons who overdose with cardiac glycosides have a better chance of overall survival if they can survive the first 24 hours after the overdose.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

When blood is deoxygenated and flowing back to the heart through the veins, it is dark reddish-blue in color. Blood in the arteries that is oxygenated and flowing out to the body is bright red. Whereas arterial blood comes out in spurts, venous blood flows.

Did you know?

GI conditions that will keep you out of the U.S. armed services include ulcers, varices, fistulas, esophagitis, gastritis, congenital abnormalities, inflammatory bowel disease, enteritis, colitis, proctitis, duodenal diverticula, malabsorption syndromes, hepatitis, cirrhosis, cysts, abscesses, pancreatitis, polyps, certain hemorrhoids, splenomegaly, hernias, recent abdominal surgery, GI bypass or stomach stapling, and artificial GI openings.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library