This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with an upper respiratory infection (common cold) tells the nurse, I am so angry with the ... (Read 52 times)

Lisaclaire

A client with an upper respiratory infection (common cold) tells the nurse, I am so angry with the nurse practitioner because he would not give me any antibiotics. What would be the most accurate response by the nurse?

A) Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.
  B) Let me talk to him and see what we can do.
  C) Why do you think you need an antibiotic?
  D) I know what you mean; you need an antibiotic.

Question 2

A nurse caring for a client who has gas gangrene knows that this infection originated in which of the following reservoirs?

A) Other people
  B) Food
  C) Soil
  D) Animals

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jordangronback

Answer to Question 1

Ans: A
Viruses are the smallest of all microorganisms. Viruses, including the common cold and AIDS, cause many infections. Antibiotics have no effect on viruses.

Answer to Question 2

Ans: C
The soil can act as a reservoir; the organisms that cause gas gangrene and tetanus are examples of pathogens whose reservoir is soil. Nurses can serve as reservoirs and inadvertently transfer pathogenic organisms to clients. For example, a nurse with artificial nails may harbor a large number and variety of microbes under the nails. Undercooked ground beef, tomatoes, and bagged spinach are reservoirs that have been identified as responsible for recent outbreaks of E. coli infections. The rabies virus is an example of a pathogen whose reservoir is various animals, notably dogs, squirrels, bats, and raccoons.

Lisaclaire

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ecabral0

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms that may signify an eye tumor include general blurred vision, bulging eye(s), double vision, a sensation of a foreign body in the eye(s), iris defects, limited ability to move the eyelid(s), limited ability to move the eye(s), pain or discomfort in or around the eyes or eyelids, red or pink eyes, white or cloud spots on the eye(s), colored spots on the eyelid(s), swelling around the eyes, swollen eyelid(s), and general vision loss.

Did you know?

The average human gut is home to perhaps 500 to 1,000 different species of bacteria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library