This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The staff RN is assigned to an operation with an operating room LPN. The physician employs another ... (Read 15 times)

NguyenJ

The staff RN is assigned to an operation with an operating room LPN. The physician employs another RN who will be first assistant for the operation. What role will the staff RN play?

a. Scrub nurse
  b. Anesthesiologist
  c. Circulating nurse
  d. Technician

Question 2

When asked to sign the surgical consent form, the patient has questions. The nurse notifies the surgeon, who talks with the patient again and then tells the nurse the questions have been answered.

When the nurse again explains the purpose of the consent form to the patient, the patient says, The doctor says this surgery is necessary. Do you think it is really necessary? What is the nurse's best response?
  a. The doctor wouldn't schedule the surgery if it wasn't necessary.
  b. There are probably nonsurgical treatments, but they may not be as effective.
  c. This is a decision only you can make. What concerns do you have?
  d. I think it is necessary, but I can call the doctor back if you want further information.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

amandalm

Answer to Question 1

C
The staff RN will act in the role of circulating nurse, which can be performed only by an RN. A physician acts as anesthesiologist, although an RN with advanced education (CRNA) could administer anesthesia. However, an RN could act as the CRNA; but the nurse in the question is not identified as a CRNA. Because only an RN can act as circulating nurse, the roles of scrub nurse or technician would be assigned to the LPN.

Answer to Question 2

C
The nurse should not voice an opinion about a surgical procedure. This is a decision only you can make . . . both puts the decision making back on the patient, where it belongs, and also helps the patient express and perhaps clarify his thinking about the procedure. Telling the patient the doctor wouldn't schedule the surgery if it wasn't necessary doesn't answer the patient's question, nor does it explore the patient's concerns. There are probably nonsurgical treatments . . . is nonresponsive and nonspecific, and does not explore the patient's concerns. Although offering to call the doctor back may be appropriate, the statement beginning with I think it is necessary . . . voices the nurse's opinion about the necessity of the surgery; therefore, it is not the best answer.

NguyenJ

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

tranoy

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Individuals are never “cured” of addictions. Instead, they learn how to manage their disease to lead healthy, balanced lives.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

Parkinson's disease is both chronic and progressive. This means that it persists over a long period of time and that its symptoms grow worse over time.

Did you know?

The most dangerous mercury compound, dimethyl mercury, is so toxic that even a few microliters spilled on the skin can cause death. Mercury has been shown to accumulate in higher amounts in the following types of fish than other types: swordfish, shark, mackerel, tilefish, crab, and tuna.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library