Author Question: The 65-year-old patient tells the nursing student that his sex life was ruined after having rostate ... (Read 22 times)

maychende

The 65-year-old patient tells the nursing student that his sex life was ruined after having rostate surgery. What statement by the student would be most appropriate?

a. I am so sorry to hear that. A close sexual relationship is so important.
  b. It is possible to have a close, intimate relationship without intercourse.
  c. Let's talk a little more about the ways in which your sex life has been ruined.
  d. You might want to try one of the medications available to treat erectile dysfunction.

Question 2

The patient tells the nurse, My partner and I never have intercourse when I have my period because I read that it is dangerous. What statement by the nurse is most appropriate?

a. You can protect the bed linens by placing protective padding under the buttocks.
  b. Reaching orgasm during your period can help to relieve menstrual cramps.
  c. The blood is from the uterus, not the vagina, so intercourse will not harm the vagina.
  d. The increased blood flow to the pelvis will make sex more pleasurable for you.

snackralk

Answer to Question 1

C
Seeking more specific information about the patient's sex life and what he means by ruined will help the nurse understand the problem that the patient is experiencing. I'm sorry to hear that . . . reflects kind intentions, but it does not help the patient or address his problem. It is true that one can have a close, intimate relationship without having intercourse; however, that statement does not help the patient or explore the meaning of ruined, nor obtain useful information. It is outside the nurse's scope of practice to discuss medications without an order from the physician.

Answer to Question 2

C
The most important point for the nurse to make is that it is safe to have intercourse during menstruation so that the patient can make an informed choice about whether to do so; therefore, explaining that intercourse will not harm the vagina is the best response. Although the statements about protecting bed linens and about orgasm reducing cramping are true, they do not address the patient's concern that intercourse is dangerous during menstruation. Increased blood flow to the pelvis may or may not increase the patient's pleasure; and it does not address the patient's concerns about safety.