This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse instructs a woman about providing a clean-catch urine specimen. Which of the following ... (Read 32 times)

leilurhhh

The nurse instructs a woman about providing a clean-catch urine specimen. Which of the following statements indicates that the patient correctly understands the procedure?

a. I will be sure to urinate into the hat' you placed on the toilet seat.
  b. I will wipe my genital area from front to back before I collect the specimen midstream.
  c. I will need to lie still while you put in a urinary catheter to obtain the specimen.
  d. I will collect my urine each time I urinate for the next 24 hours.

Question 2

A patient who underwent a left above-the-knee amputation reports pain in his left foot. The nurse should document this finding as what type of pain?

a. Psychogenic
  b. Phantom
  c. Referred
  d. Radiating

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tranoy

Answer to Question 1

B
To obtain a clean-catch urine specimen, the nurse should instruct the patient to cleanse the genital area from front to back and collect the specimen midstream. This follows the principle of going from clean to dirty. The nurse should have the ambulatory patient void into a hat (container for collecting the urine of an ambulatory patient) when monitoring urinary output, but not when obtaining a clean-catch urine specimen. A urinary catheter is required for a sterile urine specimen, not a clean-catch specimen. A 24-hour urine collection may be necessary to evaluate some disorders but a clean-catch specimen is a one-time collection.

Answer to Question 2

B
The nurse should document this finding as phantom pain. Phantom pain is pain that is perceived to originate in an area that has been amputated. Psychogenic pain refers to pain experienced by a person that does not match the symptoms or the apparent source of pain. It is thought to arise from psychological factors and is disproportional to the painful stimuli. Referred pain occurs in an area distant from the original site. Radiating pain starts at the source but extends to other locations.

leilurhhh

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

jackie

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

According to the FDA, adverse drug events harmed or killed approximately 1,200,000 people in the United States in the year 2015.

Did you know?

Not getting enough sleep can greatly weaken the immune system. Lack of sleep makes you more likely to catch a cold, or more difficult to fight off an infection.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library