This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: For a patient with hearing loss, it is essential to minimize the risk of further damage to the ... (Read 32 times)

DyllonKazuo

For a patient with hearing loss, it is essential to minimize the risk of further damage to the auditory nerve. Which of the following medications may need to be discontinued if the patient is taking them? Select all that apply.

a. Furosemide, a diuretic
  b. Digoxin, a cardiotonic
  c. Famotidine, an antacid
  d. Aspirin, an analgesic
  e. Penicillin, an antibiotic

Question 2

A 30-year-old patient newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes states to the nurse, If glucose is so important, then I think as long as my blood sugar is high I must be doing well. What is the most appropriate response by the nurse?

a. It depends on what you mean by high blood sugar. You will need to obtain more information from your provider as diabetes is a very complicated disease process.
  b. I understand how you are thinking; however, a high glucose level does not mean that there is more fuel available for your body's cells. Because you have diabetes, your body cells will allow only a limited amount to enter. The cells can't use the excess glucose.
  c. I will be able to explain this to you a little better later when we talk about diabetes. For now, I have to finish my assessment and then we can get back to your question.
  d. I will teach you how to perform glucose testing when I finish your assessment. As long as your blood sugar remains somewhere in the 120 to 140 range, you will be doing well.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Viet Thy

Answer to Question 1

A, D
Aspirin and furosemide may cause ototoxicity, leading to auditory nerve impairment. Digoxin, famotidine, or penicillin does not place the patient at risk for auditory nerve impairment.

Answer to Question 2

B
Diabetes, an endocrine problem, may develop as a result of either insufficient insulin production or resistance to the existing supply of insulin. A high blood glucose level does not mean that there is more fuel available for cellular energy. A characteristic of diabetes is that although there is more than enough glucose in the blood, it cannot enter and be used by the cells. Putting the patient off by telling her to ask the provider indicates either her own poor understanding of the disease, or an unwillingness to provide patient teaching. The nurse should clarify, explain, and teach this information to her patient in a timely way. Glucose testing is important; however, a random blood sugar range of 120 to 140 mg/dL is too high for diabetic patients.

DyllonKazuo

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

daiying98

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The calories found in one piece of cherry cheesecake could light a 60-watt light bulb for 1.5 hours.

Did you know?

In the United States, there is a birth every 8 seconds, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Population Clock.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library