This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client asks the nurse, Why do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels? An appropriate response ... (Read 46 times)

Metfan725

A client asks the nurse, Why do I have to monitor my blood glucose levels? An appropriate response from the nurse would be:

1. Because your doctor ordered it.
  2. If I were you, I would monitor the blood glucose when I didn't feel good.
  3. Monitoring your blood glucose better enables you to manage your diabetes.
  4. You can eat anything you want.

Question 2

The nurse will instruct a client about a blood test specific for heart failure which is:

1. BNP
  2. CBC
  3. LDH
  4. PKU

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

karlss

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Because your doctor ordered it is not a good enough reason.
Rationale 2: The nurse should never tell a client what he or she would do; that is only an opinion.
Rationale 3: Blood glucose monitoring improves diabetes management. By testing one's blood, one can change the insulin regimen to maintain a normal glycemic range.
Rationale 4: Eating anything the client wants would give rise to too many episodes of hyperglycemia and make the diabetes harder to control.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: The specific blood test to detect and guide treatment for heart failure is the BNP test. B-type natriuretic peptide is secreted primarily by the left ventricle in response to increased ventricular volume and pressure.
Rationale 2: A CBC is a complete blood count which includes hemoglobin and hematocrit measurements, erythrocyte (red blood cells) count, leukocyte (white blood cell) count, red blood cell indices, and a differential white cell count.
Rationale 3: This test measures the amount of the enzyme lactic dehydrogenase in the body.
Rationale 4: This is a test to assess for phenylketonuria in the newborn.

Did you know?

Though methadone is often used to treat dependency on other opioids, the drug itself can be abused. Crushing or snorting methadone can achieve the opiate "rush" desired by addicts. Improper use such as these can lead to a dangerous dependency on methadone. This drug now accounts for nearly one-third of opioid-related deaths.

Did you know?

Serum cholesterol testing in adults is recommended every 1 to 5 years. People with diabetes and a family history of high cholesterol should be tested even more frequently.

Did you know?

People with high total cholesterol have about two times the risk for heart disease as people with ideal levels.

Did you know?

Asthma cases in Americans are about 75% higher today than they were in 1980.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library