This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A student nurse accidentally left the call light outside the reach of an elderly client. Luckily ... (Read 11 times)

soccerdreamer_17

A student nurse accidentally left the call light outside the reach of an elderly client. Luckily another nurse found the situation and was able to rectify the matter before something happened. The student responded, I know better.

I should've double checked where the light was before I left the room. This student is demonstrating which of the following?
  1. Justice
  2. Fidelity
  3. Responsibility
  4. Accountability

Question 2

A toddler who has just been admitted to the pediatric unit is crying and scared. No treatment has been initiated at this point. The nurse needs to start an IV and the parent asks, Will this be painful to my child?

In practicing veracity, the nurse responds:
  1. I won't lie to you. It may be easier for you if you step out until we get the line in.
  2. We'll take every care not to hurt your child.
  3. It shouldn't be too bad and I'll be quick.
  4. We do this all the time, so don't worry.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

efwsefaw

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Justice is being fair. That it not the value exhibited by the student nurse.
Rationale 2: Fidelity means to be faithful to agreements and promises. That it not the value exhibited by the student nurse.
Rationale 3: Responsibility refers to the liability associated with the performance of duties of a particular role. The student had the responsibility to provide safe care to the client (i.e., make sure the call light was within reach) but did not follow through with it. That it not the value exhibited by the student nurse.
Rationale 4: Accountability means answering to oneself and others for one's own actions. By admitting that he or she knew better and should have double checked the situation, the student shows accountability.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Veracity refers to telling the truth. Even though telling the truth may frighten the parent, starting an IV on a frightened, scared, ill child is a difficult task. Because of the developmental stage, any explanation given by the nurse won't be understood. Being honest to the parent will help the nurse gain trust and will outweigh any benefits that may be gained by downplaying the situation.
Rationale 2: Saying that the nurse will everything possible not to hurt the child will not negate the fact that it will hurt. A needle going into a vein is not a comfortable procedure.
Rationale 3: Saying that the nurse will preform the task quickly is not a sufficient answer to the parent. A needle going into a vein is not a comfortable procedure. The nurse really doesn't know how bad it will hurt the child.
Rationale 4: Telling the parent not to worry is pointless.

soccerdreamer_17

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

at

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

There used to be a metric calendar, as well as metric clocks. The metric calendar, or "French Republican Calendar" divided the year into 12 months, but each month was divided into three 10-day weeks. Each day had 10 decimal hours. Each hour had 100 decimal minutes. Due to lack of popularity, the metric clocks and calendars were ended in 1795, three years after they had been first marketed.

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library