This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who is 2 days' postoperative reports feeling constipated to the nurse. The client has good ... (Read 25 times)

clmills979

A client who is 2 days' postoperative reports feeling constipated to the nurse. The client has good bowel sounds in all four quadrants and has tolerated liquids well. Her pain is being con-trolled with an opioid analgesic.

Which of the following interventions should the nurse try initially?
  1. Let me get you some apple juice.
  2. Ambulating may get your bowels moving.
  3. I'll see about getting a different pain medication.
  4. Your health care provider might prescribe an enema if I call.

Question 2

Which of the following statements by a client reporting constipation reflects the most informed understanding of interventions that will aid in assuming proper bowel mobility?

1. Could it be that I need to get more exercise, even here in the hospital?
  2. Is it true that drinking coffee often helps stimulate the bowels to work?
  3. I guess a little high-fiber cereal might help. Can you get me some from the cafe-teria?
  4. May I have a cup of decaffeinated tea in addition to my breakfast juice? That usually helps.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Ashley I

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 1
An increase in fluid intake with the use of fruit juices softens stool and increases peristalsis. The remaining interventions are not inappropriate, but they are not the initial intervention for such a complaint.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
Unless there is a medical contraindication, an adult needs to drink six to eight glasses (1500 to 2000 mL) of noncaffeinated fluid daily. An increase in fluid intake with the use of fruit juices softens stool and increases peristalsis. Poor fluid intake increases the risk for constipation because of reabsorption of fluid in the colon, resulting in hard, dry stools. Although the other options are not incorrect, the client does not seem to have past experience with these suggestions.

clmills979

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
:D TYSM

bulacsom

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

About 3.2 billion people, nearly half the world population, are at risk for malaria. In 2015, there are about 214 million malaria cases and an estimated 438,000 malaria deaths.

Did you know?

About 60% of newborn infants in the United States are jaundiced; that is, they look yellow. Kernicterus is a form of brain damage caused by excessive jaundice. When babies begin to be affected by excessive jaundice and begin to have brain damage, they become excessively lethargic.

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library