This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse and the mother of an infant are discussing the introduction of solid foods into her ... (Read 79 times)

crobinson2013

The nurse and the mother of an infant are discussing the introduction of solid foods into her child's diet.

Which of the following statements made by the mother reflects the best understanding of the most appropriate manner to introduce new foods?
  1. Both my husband and I have allergies, so I am very cautious about introducing anything new into her diet.
  2. I'm a fussy eater, and so are my other children; but I will offer her a variety of foods so she will have a good appetite.
  3. I'll start with nonwheat cereal and then vegetables; one new food a week so I can see if something doesn't agree with her.
  4. My other children just loved solids and really were a joy to feed; I expect she will be as receptive to new foods as they were.

Question 2

Which of the following statements reflects the best understanding of the benefits of breast-feeding related to the infant's health and wellness?

1. My husband and I both have food allergies, but she won't be allergic to my breast milk.
  2. The antibodies she gets will help keep her immunized from many illnesses for up to her first birthday.
  3. I can spend so much more time with her because I have to devote my attention to her while I nurse.
  4. It's so convenient, no formula preparation, no bottles to wash and fill, no pack-ing for outings; its great.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leahchrapun

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 3
Caregivers introduce new foods one at a time, approximately 4 to 7 days apart to identify aller-gies. The other options are not as directly focused on the possibility of food allergies.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 1
Breast-feeding benefits include the following: reduced food allergies and intolerances; fewer in-fant infections; easier digestion; convenient; always correct temperature, available, and fresh; economical, because it is less expensive than formula; and increased time for mother and infant interaction. The other options are not incorrect but do not focus on health benefits for the infant as directly as the answer.

Did you know?

Certain chemicals, after ingestion, can be converted by the body into cyanide. Most of these chemicals have been removed from the market, but some old nail polish remover, solvents, and plastics manufacturing solutions can contain these substances.

Did you know?

Many people have small pouches in their colons that bulge outward through weak spots. Each pouch is called a diverticulum. About 10% of Americans older than age 40 years have diverticulosis, which, when the pouches become infected or inflamed, is called diverticulitis. The main cause of diverticular disease is a low-fiber diet.

Did you know?

After 5 years of being diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, one every three patients will no longer be able to work.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library