Author Question: Which of the following statements made by a nurse requires follow-up with additional instruc-tion ... (Read 10 times)

Jramos095

Which of the following statements made by a nurse requires follow-up with additional instruc-tion regarding the personal nature of pain?

1. I have experienced pain before, and so I have great compassion for anyone deal-ing with pain.
  2. My postsurgical clients get the prescribed pain medications on schedule with no diversion from that schedule.
  3. If I were experiencing severe pain, I certainly would want someone to devote their time to managing for me.
  4. Clients don't always request pain medication, and so I always ask them if they want it according to the schedule.

Question 2

Which of the following statements made by a nurse shows the greatest understanding of the personal nature of the pain experience?

1. I have experienced pain before, and so I have great compassion for anyone deal-ing with pain.
  2. People handle pain differently, but everyone in pain is only interested in having the pain stop.
  3. Managing a client's pain is the single most important thing a nurse can do for a client experiencing pain.
  4. I can only accept what the client reports concerning the pain being felt and at-tempt to intervene successfully in its management.

daiying98

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
The nurse cannot see or feel the client's pain. Pain is purely subjective; no two persons experience pain in the same way, and no two painful events create identical responses or feelings in a person. Flexibility is a necessary component in pain management. The remaining options do not require follow-up because they do not express any attitudes that are not compatible with good nursing care of the client in pain.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 4
The nurse cannot see or feel the client's pain. Pain is purely subjective; no two persons experience pain in the same way, and no two painful events create identical responses or feelings in a person. A nursing responsibility requires that the nurse make good faith attempts to help minimize the pain and to advocate for the client to this end. The remaining options, while not inappropriate, do not express the most therapeutic attitude toward the nursing role regarding client pain.