This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which of the following statements made by a family member of a client recently diagnosed with ... (Read 38 times)

jwb375

Which of the following statements made by a family member of a client recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease is most reflective of an understanding of this disease process?

1. Dad has always been a fighter; he'll fight this too. He won't give up.
  2. We have an appointment with his care provider to see about medication thera-py.
  3. Good thing we found out about this early so steps can be taken to keep it from getting worse.
  4. It usually progresses gradually so we are hoping it will be a while before his memory is gone.

Question 2

Which of the following responses by an older-adult client is most reflective of a need for further education by the nurse regarding the physiological changes associated with the older adult?

1. I call a cab if I want to go out after dark.
  2. I can't help worrying about becoming forgetful.
  3. I have my eyes checked regularly. Can't afford to fall.
  4. I really enjoy eating good vanilla ice cream, but I have cut way down.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

cloud

Answer to Question 1

ANS: 2
Medications can slow the process of Alzheimer's disease considerably when prescribed appropri-ately. There is no cure for Alzheimer's disease. This option suggests that the family member still clings to the hope that there is a cure. Alzheimer's disease usually progresses gradually with a deterioration in function, but medications can be given to slow the progression of symptoms, not halt them. Although Alzheimer's disease usually progresses gradually with a deterioration in function with some clients living years after the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease, this option does not reflect the best understanding because no mention of management is made.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: 2
Although some forgetfulness is accepted, memory loss is not a normal physiological change of aging. This expressed fear requires further education by the nurse so as to help eliminate the cli-ent's concerns. A common physiological change in the older-adult client is an increased sensitiv-ity to glare, which makes night driving difficult. A common physiological change in the old-er-adult client is an alteration in visual acuity, which would require regular vision check-ups. Hy-perlipidemia is a concern regarding cardiac health and should be considered by the older adult.

jwb375

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

kalskdjl1212

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

There are over 65,000 known species of protozoa. About 10,000 species are parasitic.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

The shortest mature adult human of whom there is independent evidence was Gul Mohammed in India. In 1990, he was measured in New Delhi and stood 22.5 inches tall.

Did you know?

The average adult has about 21 square feet of skin.

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library