This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client with end-stage renal disease knows that he is dying but refuses to talk about it with his ... (Read 18 times)

james9437

A client with end-stage renal disease knows that he is dying but refuses to talk about it with his spouse. At times the spouse talks with the nursing staff about the client's condition but adamantly refuses to discuss death with the client.

What will be the outcomes of this situation?

1. Client has dignity
  2. Client has privacy
  3. Client can finalize affairs
  4. Client can plan own funeral
  5. Client burdened with no one to confide in

Question 2

During the bath, the client suddenly says, I am not going to get well. I think I am going to die. What response given by the nurse is most appropriate?

1. Let's think of something more cheerful.
  2. You are doing so well; don't talk like that.
  3. What makes you think you are dying?
  4. Whatever is meant to be will happen.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

gasdhashg

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1, 2, 5

Rationale: With mutual pretense, the client, family, and health care personnel know that the prognosis is terminal but do not talk about it and make an effort not to raise the subject. Mutual pretense permits the client a degree of dignity.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale 1: Let's think of something more cheerful is changing the subject.
Rationale 2: You are doing so well, don't talk like that is offering false reassurance and devaluing the client's concern.
Rationale 3: The nurse should ask what it is that makes the client think about dying. This allows the nurse to collect and evaluate data before making a further response.
Rationale 4: Whatever is meant to be will happen is being fatalistic and devaluing the client's concerns.

james9437

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

ricroger

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

On average, the stomach produces 2 L of hydrochloric acid per day.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library