This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client who has AIDS tells the nurse, I don't know why I should even keep trying. This disease is ... (Read 7 times)

cabate

A client who has AIDS tells the nurse, I don't know why I should even keep trying. This disease is so horrible and so many people die from it. It will get me, too. The nurse recognizes this statement as being

1. an indication of hopelessness that should be further evaluated for treatment.
  2. a simple statement of the facts regarding AIDS.
  3. common and expected in those facing the end of life.
  4. proof that the client is accepting the facts of the illness and impending death.

Question 2

A client hospitalized for injuries from a motor vehicle crash is diagnosed with higher brain death. What findings support this client's diagnosis?

1. Episodic coughing
  2. No cephalic reflexes
  3. Not breathing spontaneously
  4. Inconsistent cardiac function on the heart monitor
  5. Electroencephalogra m showed no activity for 30 minutes

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

bobsmith

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: This statement reflects hopelessness. Hopelessness is not an expected feeling at end of life and can and should be treated. Despite the inevitability of death, the goal is for the client to continue to express hope of some nature. This hope might take the form of short-term completion of goals prior to death, for peacefulness at the time of death, or for attainment of the individual's personal belief about the afterlife.
Rationale 2: This is not a simple statement of the facts regarding AIDS.
Rationale 3: Feelings of hopelessness are not common and expected in those facing the end of life.
Rationale 4: Even though death is inevitable, the client should continue to express hope of some nature.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2, 3, 5

Rationale 1: Episodic coughing might be a reflex or an attempt to clear the airway. This is not a manifestation of higher brain death.

Rationale 2: Evidence of higher brain death includes absence of cephalic reflexes.

Rationale 3: Evidence of higher brain death includes apnea.

Rationale 4: Inconsistent cardiac function on the heart monitor indicates the client is still alive.

Rationale 5: Evidence of higher brain death includes absence of cephalic reflexes, apnea, and an isoelectric electroencephalogra m for at least 30 minutes.

Did you know?

Colchicine is a highly poisonous alkaloid originally extracted from a type of saffron plant that is used mainly to treat gout.

Did you know?

Approximately 500,000 babies are born each year in the United States to teenage mothers.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

Asthma-like symptoms were first recorded about 3,500 years ago in Egypt. The first manuscript specifically written about asthma was in the year 1190, describing a condition characterized by sudden breathlessness. The treatments listed in this manuscript include chicken soup, herbs, and sexual abstinence.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library