Author Question: The nurse notes that a client has the outcome goal Client will have a decrease in pain level (down ... (Read 41 times)

luvbio

The nurse notes that a client has the outcome goal Client will have a decrease in pain level (down to a 3) within 45 minutes of receiving oral analgesic. Which client statement should the nurse use to evaluate this goal?

1. I'm getting really sleepy from that medication. I think I'll take a nap.
  2. My pain is a 4.
  3. I still have some pain.
  4. Will the pain ever go away?

Question 2

The nurse is reviewing the difference between evaluation and assessment with a new graduate nurse. What should the nurse emphasize as the major difference between these two steps in the nursing process?

1. Assessment is done at the beginning of the process.
  2. Evaluation is completed at the end of the process.
  3. They are the same and there is no need to differentiate.
  4. The difference is in how the data are used.

Briannahope

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale 1: This option does not address the client's pain level.
Rationale 2: The nurse collects data so that conclusions can be drawn about whether goals have been met. If the goal is clearly stated, precise, and measurable, it will be easy to evaluate. If the goal was a pain level of 3, the client should be able to give a numerical rating to the pain in order for the nurse to evaluate it.
Rationale 3: This option does not clearly define the level of the client's pain, so evaluating the effectiveness of the treatment is not possible.
Rationale 4: This option does not address the client's pain level.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Although assessment is the first phase of the nursing process, it is carried out during all phases.
Rationale 2: Evaluation is carried out at the end of the process; however, this is not the major difference between assessment and evaluation.
Rationale 3: Although the two processes overlap, there is a difference between the data collected.
Rationale 4: Although the two processes overlap, there is a difference between the data collected. Assessment data are collected for the nurse to make a diagnosis and evaluate desired outcomes. Evaluation data are collected for the purpose of comparing them to prescribed goals and judging the effectiveness of the nursing care.