This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement by the patient indicates an understanding of atelectasis? a. It is important to ... (Read 6 times)

asan beg

Which statement by the patient indicates an understanding of atelectasis?

a. It is important to do breathing exercises every hour to prevent atelectasis.
  b. If I develop atelectasis, I will need a chest tube to drain excess fluid.
  c. Atelectasis affects only those with chronic conditions such as emphysema.
  d. Hyperventilation will open up my alveoli, preventing atelectasis.

Question 2

When caring for a patient with atrial fibrillation, the nurse is most concerned with which vital sign?

a. Heart rate
  b. Pain
  c. Oxygen saturation
  d. Blood pressure

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Awesome

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Atelectasis develops when alveoli do not expand. Breathing exercises increase lung volume and open the airways. Deep breathing opens the pores of Kohn between the alveoli to allow sharing of oxygen between alveoli. This prevents atelectasis from developing.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Atrial fibrillation results in pooling of blood in the atria, forming emboli that can be pumped out to the rest of the body. The most common manifestations are stroke, myocardial infarction, and pulmonary embolus. A sudden and drastic drop in oxygenation and blood pressure can indicate both pulmonary embolus and myocardial infarction.

asan beg

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

dreamfighter72

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

According to the CDC, approximately 31.7% of the U.S. population has high low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad cholesterol" levels.

Did you know?

A good example of polar molecules can be understood when trying to make a cake. If water and oil are required, they will not mix together. If you put them into a measuring cup, the oil will rise to the top while the water remains on the bottom.

Did you know?

By definition, when a medication is administered intravenously, its bioavailability is 100%.

Did you know?

About 80% of major fungal systemic infections are due to Candida albicans. Another form, Candida peritonitis, occurs most often in postoperative patients. A rare disease, Candida meningitis, may follow leukemia, kidney transplant, other immunosuppressed factors, or when suffering from Candida septicemia.

Did you know?

The tallest man ever known was Robert Wadlow, an American, who reached the height of 8 feet 11 inches. He died at age 26 years from an infection caused by the immense weight of his body (491 pounds) and the stress on his leg bones and muscles.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library