Author Question: The nurse is providing discharge instructions for the patient with sleep pattern disturbances. Which ... (Read 11 times)

jasdeep_brar

The nurse is providing discharge instructions for the patient with sleep pattern disturbances. Which statement by the patient indicates a need for further education?

a. It is a good idea to have a bedtime routine.
  b. My bedtime routine can include watching TV in bed until I fall asleep
  c. I should keep my regular sleep pattern on the weekend.
  d. If I can't fall asleep, I should get out of bed and do something relaxing.

Question 2

The nurse is providing discharge education for a patient with restless leg syndrome. The following statement by the patient indicates a need for further education:

a. I should avoid all caffeine.
  b. I can using leg massage and knee bends.
  c. Taking magnesium supplements may be helpful.
  d. Taking a walk regularly may be helpful.

harveenkau8139

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only; do not watch television, read, study, or eat in there. A consistent bedtime routine signals to the mind and body that it is time to go to sleep. Maintaining a regular sleep pattern helps maintain circadian rhythms. Continue the regular sleep pattern on weekends and on holidays. Getting out of bed if unable to sleep trains the mind to sleep when in bed. If unable to fall asleep within 20 minutes, get out of bed and engage in a relaxing activity such as reading or listening to music until sleepy.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
Decreasing caffeine is helpful but does not need to be eliminated. Massaging the legs, walking, or doing deep knee bends may temporarily relieve symptoms. Supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate, and magnesium may be helpful.