This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is providing discharge teaching instructions for a patient taking cholestyramine ... (Read 63 times)

jparksx

The nurse is providing discharge teaching instructions for a patient taking cholestyramine (Questran). Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. I will take warfarin (Coumadin) 1 hour prior to my medicine.
  b. I will increase the fluids and fiber in my diet.
  c. I can take cholestyramine with my diuretic.
  d. I will take digoxin 4 hours after taking the cholestyramine.

Question 2

A patient presents to the clinic with complaints of muscle aches, muscle pain, and weakness.

Upon review of the individual's medications, the nurse notes that the patient is concurrently taking gemfibrozil (Lopid) and atorvastatin (Lipitor). The nurse should assess the patient for the development of
  a. hepatotoxicity.
  b. hypothyroidism.
  c. myopathy.
  d. heart failure.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

xoxo123

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Drugs known to form complexes with the sequestrants include thiazide diuretics, digoxin, warfarin, and some antibiotics. To reduce the formation of sequestrant-drug complexes, oral medication should be administered either 1 hour before the sequestrant or 4 hours after. Further teaching is needed.
Warfarin should be taken 1 hour before or 4 hours after cholestyramine; this statement indicates that no further teaching is needed.
Adverse effects of Questran are limited to the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Constipation, the principal complaint, can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. This statement indicates that no further teaching is needed.
Digoxin should be taken 1 hour before or 4 hours after cholestyramine; this statement indicates that no further teaching is needed.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
When gemfibrozil and a statin are taken concurrently, the risk of myopathy is increased more than with either agent alone.
Hepatotoxicity, hypothyroidism, and heart failure, are not drug-to-drug interactions.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

Did you know?

Vaccines prevent between 2.5 and 4 million deaths every year.

Did you know?

Oliver Wendell Holmes is credited with introducing the words "anesthesia" and "anesthetic" into the English language in 1846.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Nearly all drugs pass into human breast milk. How often a drug is taken influences the amount of drug that will pass into the milk. Medications taken 30 to 60 minutes before breastfeeding are likely to be at peak blood levels when the baby is nursing.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library