This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: While giving discharge instructions to a patient who will be taking cholestyramine Questran, the ... (Read 37 times)

bb

While giving discharge instructions to a patient who will be taking cholestyramine Questran, the nurse wants to assess the patient's understanding of the treatment.

Which statement made by the patient best demonstrates a need for additional teaching? a. I will take cholestyramine Questran 1 hour before my other medications.
  b. I will increase fluids and fiber in my di-et.
  c. I will weigh myself weekly.
  d. I will have my blood pressure checked weekly.

Question 2

A patient is diagnosed with a lung infection caused by P. aeruginosa. The culture and sensitivity report shows sensitivity to all aminoglycosides. The nurse knows that the rate of resistance to gentamicin is common in this hospital.

The nurse will expect the provider to order which medi-cation? a. Amikacin Amikin
  b. Gentamicin
  c. Paromomycin
  d. Tobramycin

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nyrave

Answer to Question 1

C
Patients need not weigh themselves weekly when taking cholestyramine. Cholestyramine should be taken at least 1 hour before other medications. When taken with other medications, cholesty-ramine can inhibit the absorption of the other drugs. Constipation is the principal complaint with cholestyramine. It can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. Regular blood pres-sure checks are a good idea. The patient is taking cholestyramine because of high cholesterol, which contributes to hypertension.

Answer to Question 2

A
When resistance to gentamicin and tobramycin is common, amikacin is the drug of choice for initial treatment of aminoglycoside-sensitive infections. Gentamicin would not be indicated, be-cause resistance is more likely to develop. Paromomycin is used only for local effects within the intestine and is given orally. Tobramycin is not indicated, because organisms can more readily develop resistance.

bb

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

bigcheese9

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Over time, chronic hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections can progress to advanced liver disease, liver failure, and hepatocellular carcinoma. Unlike other forms, more than 80% of hepatitis C infections become chronic and lead to liver disease. When combined with hepatitis B, hepatitis C now accounts for 75% percent of all cases of liver disease around the world. Liver failure caused by hepatitis C is now leading cause of liver transplants in the United States.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Most strokes are caused when blood clots move to a blood vessel in the brain and block blood flow to that area. Thrombolytic therapy can be used to dissolve the clot quickly. If given within 3 hours of the first stroke symptoms, this therapy can help limit stroke damage and disability.

Did you know?

Cucumber slices relieve headaches by tightening blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the area, and relieving pressure.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library