Author Question: The nurse knows that one theory explaining the variation in response to stress among individuals is ... (Read 15 times)

ahriuashd

The nurse knows that one theory explaining the variation in response to stress among individuals is called:

a. stress appraisal.
  b. sense of coherence.
  c. allostasis.
  d. homeostasis.

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient with a new diagnosis of diabetes type 2. Which of the following statements indicates a negative coping response?

a. I will look up information on the Internet about diabetes.
  b. I will join a support group.
  c. I will only focus on learning to manage my medication first.
  d. I will make changes slowly so I can adapt to each change.

bulacsom

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Sense of coherence (SOC) is a characteristic of personality that references one's perception of the world as comprehensible, meaningful, and manageable. Stress appraisal is the automatic, often unconscious assessment of a demand or stressor. Allostasis is an alternative term for the stress response. Homeostasis is the tendency of the body to seek and maintain a condition of balance or equilibrium.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
When the patient puts limits on learning by stating he/she will only learn about medication, he/she is using avoidance strategies to alleviate stress. Using strategies such as information gathering (seeking information about diabetes) is positive. Joining support groups and making changes slowly to adapt is also taking direct action by moving forward.