This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse completes the health interview and physical exam on a patient admitted with an infection ... (Read 26 times)

a0266361136

The nurse completes the health interview and physical exam on a patient admitted with an infection of the gallbladder. The nurse reviews the medical record and compares the abnormal lab results to the normal standards.

Which critical thinking skill is the nurse using in this part of the nursing process?
  a.
  Interpretation
  b.
  Analysis
  c.
  Evaluation
  d.
  Inference

Question 2

The nurse is caring for a patient diagnosed with Lyme disease. The patient tells the nurse, My heart seems to be skipping some beats. My doctor told me to let the nurse know if this happens since it might be a complication of my disease.

The nurse auscultates the heart and confirms the palpitations. Which step of the nursing process does the nurse's action demonstrate?
  a.
  Assessment
  b.
  Planning
  c.
  Implementation
  d.
  Evaluation

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

karlss

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Nurses use critical-thinking skills to guide decision making and to solve problems. The scientific method, one approach to problem resolution, is systematic, logical, and based on data collection and hypothesis testing. The steps include (1) identification of the problem, (2) definition or clarification of the problem, (3) statement of the problem, (4) determination of criteria for evaluation, (5) data collection, (6) generation of solutions, and (7) hypothesis testing. Interpretation is used to understand and explain the meaning of data. Analysis includes investigating plans of action on the basis of examination of subjective and objective data is an example of nursing analysis. Evaluation occurs when information, including the reliability, credibility, and bias of the source, is assessed. Nurses also evaluate when determining whether the desired outcome for an intervention was achieved. Recapping the needle is not part of the desired outcome. Inference leads to accurate conclusions that are based on sound reasoning.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
During the assessment step, patient care data are gathered through observation, interviews, and physical assessment. During the planning step of the nursing process, the nurse prioritizes the nursing diagnoses and identifies short- and long-term goals that are realistic, measurable, and patient focused, with specific outcome identification for evaluation purposes. The implementation step includes initiating specific nursing interventions and treatments designed to help the patient achieve established goals or outcomes. In the evaluation step, the nurse determines whether the patient's goals are met, examines the effectiveness of interventions, and decides whether the plan of care should be discontinued, continued, or revised.

a0266361136

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

shailee

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The liver is the only organ that has the ability to regenerate itself after certain types of damage. As much as 25% of the liver can be removed, and it will still regenerate back to its original shape and size. However, the liver cannot regenerate after severe damage caused by alcohol.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

As many as 28% of hospitalized patients requiring mechanical ventilators to help them breathe (for more than 48 hours) will develop ventilator-associated pneumonia. Current therapy involves intravenous antibiotics, but new antibiotics that can be inhaled (and more directly treat the infection) are being developed.

Did you know?

The average office desk has 400 times more bacteria on it than a toilet.

Did you know?

More than 20 million Americans cite use of marijuana within the past 30 days, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH). More than 8 million admit to using it almost every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library