This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client receives theophylline (Theo-Dur) and calls the clinic to say he has had nausea and vomiting ... (Read 21 times)

mrsjacobs44

A client receives theophylline (Theo-Dur) and calls the clinic to say he has had nausea and vomiting for two days. What is the best action by the nurse?

1. Tell the client to come to the clinic for an assessment.
  2. Ask the client if he has eaten at any unclean restaurants.
  3. Ask the client if he has been exposed to anyone with the flu.
  4. Recommend that the client begin a clear liquid diet.

Question 2

The nurse teaches the client about the use of a metered-dose inhaler (MDI) and spacer. The nurse evaluates that additional teaching is required when the client makes which statement?

1. I need to follow the instructions about using the metered-dose inhaler (MDI).
  2. I need to rinse my mouth each time after using the metered-dose inhaler (MDI).
  3. I need to drink a lot of fluids while I am using the metered-dose inhaler (MDI).
  4. I should keep the spacer moist between uses by storing it in a plastic zipbag.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

underwood14

Answer to Question 1

4. Recommend that the client begin a clear liquid diet.
Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Nausea and vomiting are symptoms of theophylline toxicity; the client needs to come to the clinic for an assessment.
Rationale 2: Food poisoning could be the cause of the client's symptoms, but he needs to be assessed for theophylline toxicity.
Rationale 3: Flu could be the cause of the client's symptoms, but he needs to be assessed for theophylline toxicity.
Rationale 4: A clear-liquid diet might help, but the client needs to be assessed for theophylline toxicity.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 4
Rationale 1: Following instructions indicates compliance with use of the metered-dose inhaler (MDI).
Rationale 2: Rinsing the mouth after using the metered-dose inhaler (MDI) is correct; it will help reduce oral absorption of the drug.
Rationale 3: Fluids are encouraged to liquefy pulmonary secretions when using the metered-dose inhaler (MDI).
Rationale 4: The spacer and inhaler should be rinsed with water and allowed to air-dry.

mrsjacobs44

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bdobbins

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

Long-term mental and physical effects from substance abuse include: paranoia, psychosis, immune deficiencies, and organ damage.

Did you know?

Elderly adults are at greatest risk of stroke and myocardial infarction and have the most to gain from prophylaxis. Patients ages 60 to 80 years with blood pressures above 160/90 mm Hg should benefit from antihypertensive treatment.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library