This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient has bipolar disorder and is in a manic phase. The physician prescribes lithium ... (Read 22 times)

vHAUNG6011

The patient has bipolar disorder and is in a manic phase. The physician prescribes lithium (Eskalith). The patient's current lithium level is 0.4. What will the nurse expect to assess in this patient?

1. A return to baseline behavior, calm and rational
  2. Hyperactivity and pressured speech
  3. Signs and symptoms of depression
  4. A decrease in manic behavior

Question 2

The nurse has completed medication education for a patient prior to the patient receiving phenelzine (Nardil). The nurse evaluates the education as effective when the patient makes which statement(s)?

1. I am really going to miss my morning coffee and sweet roll.
  2. I'll have to give up my beer at the football games.
  3. I can't eat fried chicken and gravy.
  4. I am not supposed to have processed meats or cheese.
  5. I really shouldn't eat at a restaurant; too many foods are on my restricted list.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Rilsmarie951

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: A therapeutic lithium level is 0.6 to 1.5. Since this patient's level is low, behaviors will indicate mania, i.e., hyperactivity and pressured speech. There will be no decrease in manic behavior because the lithium level is too low. The patient will not exhibit signs and symptoms of depression, but will continue in the manic phase until the lithium level is within a therapeutic range. The patient will not return to baseline behavior, but will continue in the manic phase until the lithium level is within a therapeutic range.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,4
Rationale: Beer and processed meats and cheese are high in tyramine. Combining tyramine-rich foods with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor can result in a hypertensive crisis. Fried chicken and gravy are not high in tyramine and are considered safe. There are many foods that are safe to eat; the patient can safely eat at a restaurant. Coffee and a sweet roll are not high in tyramine and are considered safe.

vHAUNG6011

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

parshano

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Though newer “smart” infusion pumps are increasingly becoming more sophisticated, they cannot prevent all programming and administration errors. Health care professionals that use smart infusion pumps must still practice the rights of medication administration and have other professionals double-check all high-risk infusions.

Did you know?

Opium has influenced much of the world's most popular literature. The following authors were all opium users, of varying degrees: Lewis Carroll, Charles, Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, and Oscar Wilde.

Did you know?

Never take aspirin without food because it is likely to irritate your stomach. Never give aspirin to children under age 12. Overdoses of aspirin have the potential to cause deafness.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

Most women experience menopause in their 50s. However, in 1994, an Italian woman gave birth to a baby boy when she was 61 years old.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library