This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient has bipolar disorder and is in a manic phase. The physician prescribes lithium ... (Read 24 times)

vHAUNG6011

The patient has bipolar disorder and is in a manic phase. The physician prescribes lithium (Eskalith). The patient's current lithium level is 0.4. What will the nurse expect to assess in this patient?

1. A return to baseline behavior, calm and rational
  2. Hyperactivity and pressured speech
  3. Signs and symptoms of depression
  4. A decrease in manic behavior

Question 2

The nurse has completed medication education for a patient prior to the patient receiving phenelzine (Nardil). The nurse evaluates the education as effective when the patient makes which statement(s)?

1. I am really going to miss my morning coffee and sweet roll.
  2. I'll have to give up my beer at the football games.
  3. I can't eat fried chicken and gravy.
  4. I am not supposed to have processed meats or cheese.
  5. I really shouldn't eat at a restaurant; too many foods are on my restricted list.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Rilsmarie951

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: A therapeutic lithium level is 0.6 to 1.5. Since this patient's level is low, behaviors will indicate mania, i.e., hyperactivity and pressured speech. There will be no decrease in manic behavior because the lithium level is too low. The patient will not exhibit signs and symptoms of depression, but will continue in the manic phase until the lithium level is within a therapeutic range. The patient will not return to baseline behavior, but will continue in the manic phase until the lithium level is within a therapeutic range.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,4
Rationale: Beer and processed meats and cheese are high in tyramine. Combining tyramine-rich foods with a monoamine oxidase inhibitor can result in a hypertensive crisis. Fried chicken and gravy are not high in tyramine and are considered safe. There are many foods that are safe to eat; the patient can safely eat at a restaurant. Coffee and a sweet roll are not high in tyramine and are considered safe.

vHAUNG6011

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

Animal_Goddess

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Looking at the sun may not only cause headache and distort your vision temporarily, but it can also cause permanent eye damage. Any exposure to sunlight adds to the cumulative effects of ultraviolet (UV) radiation on your eyes. UV exposure has been linked to eye disorders such as macular degeneration, solar retinitis, and corneal dystrophies.

Did you know?

Tobacco depletes the body of vitamins A, C, and E, which can result in any of the following: dry hair, dry skin, dry eyes, poor growth, night blindness, abscesses, insomnia, fatigue, reproductive system problems, sinusitis, pneumonia, frequent respiratory problems, skin disorders, weight loss, rickets, osteomalacia, nervousness, muscle spasms, leg cramps, extremity numbness, bone malformations, decayed teeth, difficulty in walking, irritability, restlessness, profuse sweating, increased uric acid (gout), joint damage, damaged red blood cells, destruction of nerves, infertility, miscarriage, and many types of cancer.

Did you know?

Multiple experimental evidences have confirmed that at the molecular level, cancer is caused by lesions in cellular DNA.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Limit intake of red meat and dairy products made with whole milk. Choose skim milk, low-fat or fat-free dairy products. Limit fried food. Use healthy oils when cooking.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library