This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has completed medication education for the anxious patient who is receiving buspirone ... (Read 36 times)

serike

The nurse has completed medication education for the anxious patient who is receiving buspirone (BuSpar). The nurse determines that the patient needs additional instruction when the patient makes which statement?

1. Side effects I might experience include dizziness, headache, and drowsiness.
  2. I can take this medication when I feel anxious and it will relax me.
  3. I have to take this medicine on a regular basis for it to help me.
  4. I don't need to worry about becoming dependent on this medication.

Question 2

The patient comes to the emergency department after an overdose of lorazepam (Ativan). The nurse will plan to administer which medication?

1. Pralidoxime (Protopam)
  2. Naloxone (Narcan)
  3. Flumazenil (Romazicon)
  4. Nalmefene (Revex)

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Missbam101

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Buspirone (BuSpar) works by altering levels of neurotransmitters and takes a few weeks to achieve optimal anxiety reduction. It cannot be used as an as needed (prn) medication. Side effects of buspirone (BuSpar) include dizziness, headache, and drowsiness. Dependence and withdrawal are less of a concern with buspirone (BuSpar) than with some other antianxiety drugs. Buspirone (BuSpar) works by altering levels of neurotransmitters and takes a few weeks to achieve optimal anxiety reduction. The drug must be taken consistently for this to occur.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 3
Rationale: Should an overdose of benzodiazepines occur, flumazenil (Romazicon) is a specific benzodiazepine receptor antagonist that can be administered to reverse central nervous system (CNS) depression. Naloxone (Narcan) is indicated for treatment of opiate overdose. Nalmefene (Revex) is indicated for treatment of opiate overdose. Pralidoxime (Protopam) is indicated for treatment of organophosphate poisoning.

Did you know?

Computer programs are available that crosscheck a new drug's possible trade name with all other trade names currently available. These programs detect dangerous similarities between names and alert the manufacturer of the drug.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

The word drug comes from the Dutch word droog (meaning "dry"). For centuries, most drugs came from dried plants, hence the name.

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library