This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has been doing medication education for the patient receiving atenolol (Tenormin), a beta ... (Read 27 times)

storky111

The nurse has been doing medication education for the patient receiving atenolol (Tenormin), a beta blocker. The nurse determines that learning has occurred when the patient makes which statement?

1. I need to take my pulse every day.
  2. If I have any side effects, I will stop the medication.
  3. I cannot take this drug if I develop glaucoma.
  4. I cannot continue to have my morning cup of coffee.

Question 2

The physician ordered prazosin (Minipress), an alpha-adrenergic blocker, for the patient. The nurse plans to do medication education. What will the best plan of the nurse include?

1. Instruct the patient to not take any OTC herbal preparations.
  2. Instruct the patient to not take hot tub baths or hot showers.
  3. Instruct the patient to decrease his intake of sodium.
  4. Instruct the patient to wear sunglasses when outdoors.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jharrington11

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Beta blockers slow the heart rate; therefore the patient must monitor his pulse every day. Beta blockers should not be stopped suddenly. Caffeine is not prohibited with beta blockers. Adrenergic blockers, not beta blockers, are used to treat glaucoma.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Alpha-adrenergic blockers are vasodilators, and taking hot tub baths or showers could result in further vasodilation resulting in hypotension or fainting.
Alpha blockers do not cause photophobia; sunglasses are not required with this drug. There is no relationship between alpha blockers and sodium intake. It is a good idea to avoid herbal preparations, but this is not the primary plan.

storky111

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

emsimon14

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

People about to have surgery must tell their health care providers about all supplements they take.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

HIV testing reach is still limited. An estimated 40% of people with HIV (more than 14 million) remain undiagnosed and do not know their infection status.

Did you know?

Illness; diuretics; laxative abuse; hot weather; exercise; sweating; caffeine; alcoholic beverages; starvation diets; inadequate carbohydrate consumption; and diets high in protein, salt, or fiber can cause people to become dehydrated.

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library