This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse has been doing medication education for the patient receiving atenolol (Tenormin), a beta ... (Read 28 times)

storky111

The nurse has been doing medication education for the patient receiving atenolol (Tenormin), a beta blocker. The nurse determines that learning has occurred when the patient makes which statement?

1. I need to take my pulse every day.
  2. If I have any side effects, I will stop the medication.
  3. I cannot take this drug if I develop glaucoma.
  4. I cannot continue to have my morning cup of coffee.

Question 2

The physician ordered prazosin (Minipress), an alpha-adrenergic blocker, for the patient. The nurse plans to do medication education. What will the best plan of the nurse include?

1. Instruct the patient to not take any OTC herbal preparations.
  2. Instruct the patient to not take hot tub baths or hot showers.
  3. Instruct the patient to decrease his intake of sodium.
  4. Instruct the patient to wear sunglasses when outdoors.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

jharrington11

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Beta blockers slow the heart rate; therefore the patient must monitor his pulse every day. Beta blockers should not be stopped suddenly. Caffeine is not prohibited with beta blockers. Adrenergic blockers, not beta blockers, are used to treat glaucoma.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Alpha-adrenergic blockers are vasodilators, and taking hot tub baths or showers could result in further vasodilation resulting in hypotension or fainting.
Alpha blockers do not cause photophobia; sunglasses are not required with this drug. There is no relationship between alpha blockers and sodium intake. It is a good idea to avoid herbal preparations, but this is not the primary plan.

storky111

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

adf223

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

Many medications that are used to treat infertility are injected subcutaneously. This is easy to do using the anterior abdomen as the site of injection but avoiding the area directly around the belly button.

Did you know?

Your skin wrinkles if you stay in the bathtub a long time because the outermost layer of skin (which consists of dead keratin) swells when it absorbs water. It is tightly attached to the skin below it, so it compensates for the increased area by wrinkling. This happens to the hands and feet because they have the thickest layer of dead keratin cells.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Russia has the highest death rate from cardiovascular disease followed by the Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Poland.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library