This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is reinforcing factors that contribute to addiction to a group of patients recovering from ... (Read 17 times)

TVarnum

The nurse is reinforcing factors that contribute to addiction to a group of patients recovering from addiction and their family members. Which statement made by a patient or family member would indicate the need for additional teaching?

1. I'm not likely to have any more problems with addiction since neither of my parents had a problem with addiction.
  2. I can still see my friends as long as I stay away from alcohol.
  3. I don't want to become addicted like my husband did. I'm never going to take any kind of drug unless I absolutely have to.
  4. I realize now that I was just looking for ways to help me feel good about myself.
  5. After a while, it just seemed even though I was not in pain, I would still want to take the pain pills.

Question 2

A patient has been abusing an antianxiety medication. Which assessment by the nurse would confirm this is psychological dependence instead of physical dependence?

1. The patient's history reveals the long-term use of high doses of an antianxiety medication.
  2. The patient describes the need to use the antianxiety medication despite not feeling anxious.
  3. The patient describes feeling nauseous with abdominal cramping.
  4. The patient tells you her family has disowned her because of her need for the antianxiety medication.
  5. The patient complains she has not slept in days, feels anxious, and tired.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

strudel15

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,3
Rationale 1: Addiction depends on multiple and complex variables. Genetics plays a part but many other factors also contribute to addiction.
Rationale 2: Counselors encourage users to stop associating with social contacts who shared the substance abuse to lessen the possibility for relapse.
Rationale 3: The therapeutic use of drugs rarely causes addiction when used according to accepted medical protocols.
Rationale 4: The drug experience may bring feelings of pleasure or well-being. The patient may find achieving this feeling to be worth repeating, leading to addiction.
Rationale 5: This patient recognizes that taking pain medication even when in not pain leaves one vulnerable for addiction. The therapeutic use of drugs rarely causes addiction when used according to accepted medical protocols.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1,2,4
Rationale 1: Psychological dependence usually requires the use of relatively high doses of antianxiety medication over a prolonged period of time.
Rationale 2: Psychological dependence is the need or desire to continue taking a drug when there is a lack of physical symptoms. In this case, the patient does not feel anxious but still has the desire to take the antianxiety medication.
Rationale 3: Physical dependence produces physical signs of discomfort when the agent is discontinued. This is not true of psychological dependence.
Rationale 4: To continue the use of the antianxiety drug at the risk of jeopardizing relationships is indicative of psychological dependence.
Rationale 5: Physical dependence produces physical signs of discomfort when the agent is discontinued. This is not true of psychological dependence.

TVarnum

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

shewald78

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

Medication errors are more common among seriously ill patients than with those with minor conditions.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Multiple sclerosis is a condition wherein the body's nervous system is weakened by an autoimmune reaction that attacks the myelin sheaths of neurons.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library